Facebook is an excellent way to connect with friends and family. But if you want to appear offline on Facebook for one reason or the other, then removing your active status on Facebook is the way to go. When you turn off the active status on Facebook, your friends on Facebook will see you as though you’re offline, even though you might currently be using Facebook at the moment.
What’s even more interesting about this feature is that you can choose to turn off your active status on Facebook for certain people that you select. And whenever you want to be active again on Facebook, you can easily re-enable the active status, as no timer must elapse before it is active again. Keep reading as this article elaborates on how to enter stealth mode on Facebook.
How to Hide Active Status on Facebook
Facebook is one of the most versatile social media platforms that is supported across multiple platforms. You can access Facebook on smartphones and PC using the Facebook Messenger app or via your web browser. And it does not matter whether you are using an Apple, Android, or Windows device; you can turn active status off on Facebook. Learn how to hide active status on Facebook using the app, desktop website, or mobile Facebook website below.
Hide Active Status on the Messenger app
The go-to way to access Facebook for most smartphone users is by using the Facebook Messenger app. Whether you use an iPhone or Android smartphone, using this app is great as it offers a seamless experience using Facebook. You can chat with friends, video call friends, watch videos together while on the call, and so much more. But if you would like to turn off active status on Facebook Messenger, here’s how to go about it.
1. Open the Facebook Messenger app on your smartphone and login into your account.
2. Tap on your “Profile Picture” in the Chat tab of the app, which is at the top left end of your screen.
3. Scroll down and Tap on the “Active Status” option.
4. On the option Show when you are active, toggle the “switch off” by gliding the slider switch to the left.
5. Confirm you want to turn off the active status option by choosing how long you want it to be off, then click pause.
Hide Active Status on Facebook Desktop Website
If you use a Desktop, you also have access to this feature. Chatting on Facebook with a desktop is better as you get access to more features you wouldn’t get on the Facebook Messenger app. To change your active status on Facebook using the desktop website is also fairly straightforward. Follow the steps below to change active status on Facebook desktop website.
1. Open Facebook in a web browser on your desktop and login into your account.
2. At the top right end of your screen, Click the “Messenger” icon.
3. In the pop-up menu, at the top, select the “three-dot” menu icon.
4. From the drop-down menu, click on “Active Status:”.
5. In the pop-up window that appears on your screen, choose whether you want to Turn off the active status for all your contacts, all except some, or for only some contacts, and then click on “Save” button to save your choice.
Hide Active Status on the Mobile Facebook website
If you don’t have the Facebook Messenger app on your smartphone, you can also access it via the web browser on it. While the Facebook website is mobile-friendly, it is not as seamless as the Messenger app itself. With the mobile Facebook website, you can also turn off active status for your friends. Follow the steps below to learn how to turn off active status on Facebook with the mobile website.
1. Log in to your Facebook account on the browser on your smartphone.
2. Open the Account Settings by Clicking this link.
3. In the settings page scroll down and look for “Active status” option, located under Audience and visibility. Tap on the “Active status” option.
3. In the next page you’ll see the option to “Turn Off Active Status”, click on it, and you are done.
As you can tell from this article, what happens when you turn off active status on Facebook is that it puts you in stealth mode. Hence, your friends and colleagues will see your profile as offline, even though you might be online. So, when next you don’t feel like engaging in a conversation with anyone, feel free to use this option.